Introduction to Comfort Food
Today I had my first-ever realization about, and association with, comfort food.
I was reading a post on a group that I belong to, for parents of kids with tumors. This father had lost his daughter a few years ago, and he posted a beautiful tribute to her, on the anniversary of her passing. I literally had tears running down my cheeks, as I read.
Immediately following, I got up to get my cup of black coffee from the kitchen - the zero calorie beverage of choice to get me through my morning.
As soon as I entered the kitchen, I felt a HUGE pull to eat some breakfast. I had never felt such a strong, visceral drive to grab what was on the table. It wasn't a physical hunger. It was a need for something to fill this sad-space in me, to comfort this pain that I was feeling, after reading the post.
It took me a few minutes to realize what was happening, and the truth was absolutely clear: I wasn't hungry from a physical need. I was hungry for comfort, and the drive was palpable.
The moment passed, and I prepared my cup of coffee. But it was an important realization to me, of just how strong is the pull to eat-for-comfort.
Wishing any/all readers a day of comfort that is brought not by food or unnecessary calories, but by love and support of friends and family.
I was reading a post on a group that I belong to, for parents of kids with tumors. This father had lost his daughter a few years ago, and he posted a beautiful tribute to her, on the anniversary of her passing. I literally had tears running down my cheeks, as I read.
Immediately following, I got up to get my cup of black coffee from the kitchen - the zero calorie beverage of choice to get me through my morning.
As soon as I entered the kitchen, I felt a HUGE pull to eat some breakfast. I had never felt such a strong, visceral drive to grab what was on the table. It wasn't a physical hunger. It was a need for something to fill this sad-space in me, to comfort this pain that I was feeling, after reading the post.
It took me a few minutes to realize what was happening, and the truth was absolutely clear: I wasn't hungry from a physical need. I was hungry for comfort, and the drive was palpable.
The moment passed, and I prepared my cup of coffee. But it was an important realization to me, of just how strong is the pull to eat-for-comfort.
Wishing any/all readers a day of comfort that is brought not by food or unnecessary calories, but by love and support of friends and family.
Comments
Post a Comment